Monday, September 8, 2014

Quest 2 - How Family and Peers Influence Your Decisions

What Influences the Decisions We Make?

Oi Grade 6!

Today our second quest awaits us... How Family and Peers Influence Your Decisions. Now that we know more about decision-making and its possible consequences, I wonder, how could our family and friends influence the choices we make? What do all of these influences have in common?


All of these influences can impact your decisions.




Examples of influences on our decisions

I wonder, how could the impact of different influences look like? Click on the image below to see what these health classes had to say...





Guiding questions...

Think about the following questions to help build our understanding of how effective interpersonal skills help demonstrate responsibility, respect and caring in order to establish and maintain healthy interactions with our family and peers.
  • How does the power to choose affect how we react to events and/or opinions that could influence our decisions?
  • What strategies are needed to build and enhance our relationships in the family and with our peers?
  • How do we make decisions cooperatively with our family and with our peers?

What steps could we take to help make good decisions?

Take a look at the diagram below. Family, friends or other influences (media, coaches, teachers) can impact our decisions in different ways. 

What you see-think-wonder about the steps below? In the comment section of this post, complete the following task:
  • What do you see?
  • What do you think these steps are about?
  • What do these steps make you wonder? Or what question do you have about the steps?



Applying the Six Steps to Making a Good Decision... Practice being pro-active instead of re-active...

Think about a daily choice or a conflict between you and one of the different influences (friend, family, teacher, coach, etc). Taking the guiding questions into consideration, apply the Six Steps to Making a Good Decision to a current conflict or situation and create a blog post that includes the following (review grading rubric shared in our Health folder):

  • Title - Six Steps to Making a Good Decision
  • Labels - Grade 6, Health
  • A reflection on each of the six different steps to making a good decision
    • Identify the problem - State the problem/conflict
    • Consider your values - How do your values and beliefs affect your choices?
    • List the options - What actions did or could you take?
    • Weigh the consequences - Consequences could be positive, negative and/or neutral
    • Decide and act - Choose and describe the action you took or will take
    • Evaluate your choice - What was or could be the result of your action?
  • To finish your blog post, answer the following questions:
    • How could you use this strategy to help create and maintain healthy relationships?
    • What core values are being demonstrated when you use this strategy to make a good decision? What makes you say that?

Making Connections

I wonder, from our learning experiences so far, what connections could you make to our enduring understanding and the following essential question:

Enduring Understanding
  • Health is a complex system with many moving parts and every choice we make impacts our physical, mental and emotional well-being

Essential Questions
  • What skills are needed to create and maintain healthy relationships?

31 comments:

  1. I see 6 good steps to making a good decision.
    I think these steps are a procedure to making good decisions you can benefit from.
    I wonder if these steps can be used to make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a healthy procedure to solve problems without bad consequences.
    I think these are a way to conclude problems with good consequences, without bad things happening.
    I wonder if these procederes always work, or if you must use another one in certain times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I see 6 steps to making a good decision.
    2. I think these are a good way to solve certain problems because it makes you think about the problem, therefore you won't make rash decisions.
    3. If there is a more complex problem, will these same steps apply?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see that there are many steps that don't really have to be there,like evaluate your choice,there is no reason to evaluate your choice,what does it help with?I never follow these steps and my result is almost always good.I think the only thing you really have to do is think before you do something,not take so much time to make one decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lara, I wonder, what makes you say that you do not need to evaluate your choice? Evaluating our decisions enables us to be reflective about our actions so that we can learn from our experiences and grow.

      Delete
  5. I see good and healthy ways to solve problems and make a good descision.
    I think these ways will not cause problems
    I wonder if, with these steps, more complex and harder problems can be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see a good step-by-step procedures to evaluate your decisions. I think this is a good diagram of lots of people's decisions such as mine. I wonder if this procedure could also be a cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a good way to solve a problem. This way you can make the right decision. Also you can make the best choice and solve the problem. I think that this diagram shows all the steps to make a right decision. I wonder if you really need Consider Your Values?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this chart I see that most of the steps include considering things and always making sure that things come out just like planed. Ex: "Consider....", "Weigh the....", "Evaluate..." or "Identify...".
    I think of all this things as good cualities.
    I think that these steps are all about analysing what can happen if you do something that is positive or something negative.
    I wonder if there are more steps to this process because the way it is all explained i makes it sound easy and simple but it is actually really hard to make a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see a good program or steps that you should take when solving a problem. I think that these steps can really help you when trying to solve a problem or issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, what wonder or question do you have about these steps?

      Delete
  10. I see a a step by step diagram to solve a problem. I think this is about these are good steps to solve a problem. These step make me wonder if could use this when I have a problem. Can I make a good decision?

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the image I think that identifying a problem is the most important and difficult thing/part because it is the first thing we have to do to solve a problem. I think that identifying a problem is to find out what happened and why, and then the discussion starts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see something that shows me how to make good decisions. I think that this is something related to help. I wonder if it takes long to do all these steps well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see a good way to solve problems like being nice to others. I think this is important to the people. The cycle is needed because it shows you what to do and when to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, what wonder or question do you have these steps?

      Delete
  14. I see a helpful procedure on how to make good decisions and know the consequences. I think that this is very helpful to someone how doesn't know how to make important decisions. But I wonder if this procedure would work for all important decisions that someone needs to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see steps to make a good decision
    I think that this will be helpful, but confusing
    I wonder if this will work for everyone and if we have to follow these steps

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see an image of steps for us to make decisions. These steps are made for us to make decisions to solve problems. Why are these steps usefull to solve problems? Finally why are these six steps important to solve problems? How do we know the right time to use these steps?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I chose step 5 which is Decide, and act. I think it means that you need to decide the most appropriate thing& decision to act. With this act you will solve the consequence and the main problem. That decisions will have a consequence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, what wonder or question do you have about these steps?

      Delete
  18. I see that this is a picture of a diagram with steps listed in order to solve a problem. I think that these steps are the best way to solve a problem. I wonder if you can solve any problem using these guidelines or not.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In this picture it shows steps of how to make a good decision. If you are in a situation that you need to make a good decision you should follow these steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, what wonder or question do you have about these steps?

      Delete
  20. I see an image that is written some steps to do before completing decisions. Why would you identify the problem when you already know what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you think these steps are about? Identifying the problem helps to articulate or communicate the problem more effectively and clearly.

      Delete
  21. I see many step to making a good decision.
    I think that this is a difficult process to solve a problem.
    I wonder if every kid that sees or here's from it will use it to solve problems.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see steps to confront a problem without consequences.
    i think this could improve peoples lives because it can help them choose what to do.
    i wonder if they always work or not?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I see a picture of steps that shows how to make a good decisions. This makes me wonder for what decisions this is for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you think these steps are about?

      Delete
  24. I can see a picture of 6 different steps to make a good decisions and I wonder If these steps work for all types of problems.

    ReplyDelete